We just had our deck replaced with Trex decking materials at a cost of nearly $20,000. The deck boards are held in place by plastic clamps that are secured to the joist boards.

When the wind blows we have the same loud whistling noise that other users of this Trex product have complained about. So loud we have had to relocate to the opposite side of the house to sleep. Filed a complaint with Trex customer service. Through research found Trex has know about this problem for at least a year and their sales people have done nothing to warn customers about the possibility the deck will make a loud whistling sound when the wind blows.

Was told by customer service Trex has a fix that is still 6-8 weeks from reaching the field. They imply the fix will be shipped to me. Not interested.... Trex needs to fix the problem and cover the cost.

Terrible treatment of customers. Note other customers have filed complaints with Trex and have gotten no resolution.

To see other complaints search web under "Trex Deck Whistling" Many examples of the whistling sound can be found on YouTube. Looking into filing a class action suit against Trex,

Product or Service Mentioned: Trex Deck Replacement.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Trex accountability for a problem with their product.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Dec 13, 2016.

Comments

Sounds like your contractor doesn't want to take responsibility. I am pretty sure it is the spacing that causes the whistling, not the material.

We just had a new Trex deck built on a second story and it has the same howling I the wind problem. Installer says it’s a warranty and not an installation issue.

Claims Trex is going to fix it but once the contractor was paid we have not heard back from him with any details.

This was a waste of $14000. Would love to join a class action suite and campaign against Trex to protect other customers.

to Shawn Fury #1578558

I am a homebuilder in Minnesota. We have built many homes using Trex Trancends.

For about a year or so now we have been trying to find the source of a nasty howl. We have adjusted chimney flues thinking that it could be that and other futile attempts at getting rid of this howl but nothing worked. We finally found it! It's the Trex decking!

The spacing is dictated by the hidden fasteners,so no way to adjust. We need a fix for this.

I have this on my own home but thought it was my patio set or the railing whistling, never thought for a moment it was the deck boards. I hope Trex steps up on this.